Friday, April 17, 2009

Watch out Boston, Here I come!

There’s a song that they sing when they take to the highway

And conveniently that is a line from my song; the song that I sing when we prepare to make the six hour trek from Doylestown to my childhood home in Massachusetts.

We’ll be making that drive today as soon as I hit "publish post" - I can't wait!

I LOVE roadtrips. I always have. When we were younger, we drove 11 hours each way to get to our beach home in P.E.I.. The drive was always one of my favorite parts of the vacation. I also enjoyed lobster cookouts on the beach, seeing the Anne of Green Gables musical over and over, chocolate-chip pancakes at the Morell Diner, dune races… but the car trip would have made my top 10 list.

Well, I should clarify: the first eight hours were enjoyable. By hour nine my sister would have gotten carsick, the boys would have run out of Gameboy batteries and resorted to he’s-looking-at-me, no-I’m-not, he’s-breathing-on-my-side, and the dogs would be panting and drooling down my neck. The 10th hour was the most awful; we’d all have to pee, but my parents would pull their we’re-almost-there, not-much-farther, can’t-you-hold-it? Occasionally Nick couldn’t.

And worst of all, I’d have run out of books. Not all my books for the trip – my mom knew better than to give me access to all of them at once. But I’d have finished the 3-4 she’d parsed out to me for the drive.

That was the whole joy of the car ride – I’d willingly accept the seat in the back row on the non-door-side of the caravan because I didn’t want to be bothered. Who cares about the extra leg room? I didn’t have to let people climb over me to get out. I didn’t have to reach for things in the cooler or pass out napkins and juice boxes. I didn’t have to hold the dogs’ leashes when the sliding door was opened.

I could slip on my foam padded walkman headphones, turn up the volume on Belinda Carlisle or New Kids on the Block, and flip open a book.

I’d spend a few hours with the Sweet Valley Twins, totally enamored with Jessica and her Unicorn Club, but accepting that I was much more of an Elizabeth.

My sister would poke me when we stopped for gas or food and hand me a leash.

Somethings never change.

Have you figured out my road trip song? Here’s another hint:

Now the first of December was covered with snow
And so was the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston
Lord, the Berkshires seemed dream-like on account of that frosting
With ten miles behind me and ten thousand more to go

I have to give St. Matt some credit. He won’t let me get away with tuning him out for the whole ride, which is only fair since I make him do all the driving. When we were first dating I would read book aloud to him. This worked. Sorta. Except, when he got out to pump gas, I would stealthily read ahead and then try and get away with just summarizing when he got back in.

Now we do audiobooks. He’s okay with me tuning him out – as long as he has something to tune into. There are strict pause-button policies that go into affect during any bathroom breaks, gas refilling, puggle pit stops, or if I think of something I need to write down thisveryminutesoIdon’tforget.

Today– we’ve got Airhead by Meg Cabot, Feed by M.T. Anderson, and The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E.Lockhart.

And of course we also have music too – it may not be Circle in the Sand or Hanging Tough, but I’ll be singing just as loudly and just as off-key.

And of course I’ll also be singing…

Goodnight, you moonlight ladies
Rockabye, sweet baby James
Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose
Won’t you let me go down in my dreams?
And rockabye, sweet baby James

Not a James Taylor fan? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered:

How about a true Boston band? Guster:

The sooner you leave, the sooner you're home
Back in Massachusetts
Or Augustana:

♫I think I’ll go to Boston…

Yes, I think I will. Now.

….Pity poor St. Matt, writing this has put me in a singing mood and he’ll have six hours in the car to listen to ALL of my road trip songs. (Suggestions welcome!)

4 comments:

  1. Why didn't you warn me sooner that you were going to be in MA?! I would have prepared...I would have packed & gone to see my parents down in RI. =p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your childhood car trips sound suspiciously like my car trips when I was young esp. the NKOTB, but I listened to Tiffany and Debbie Gibson and country music. Sadly, for me, Breading in the car makes me sick so I couldn't really read as much.
    Now we listen to audio books on our trips too but we listen to less YA since my husband says no but he will listen to Harry Potter. But I listen to a lot of audio books daily since there is nothing on the radio.

    Sorry this was long.
    But also my husband is from Plymonth and is a Patriots fan and his little sister is going to grad school at BU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg you got to go to PEI?? I *lusted* after PEI when I became addicted to Avonlea on the Disney Channel. I BEGGED my dad to take me - but no. #1 rule with my dad = we never went anywhere HE'D already been. Except MA. I loved that we HAD to go to MA because his dad (my Pepe) still lived there. We NEVER went to Boston, or anywhere far from Tiverton, RI/Westport, MA, but we had to drive thru the whole state all the way to the ocean to get there and IT WAS GREAT. Mmmm trip food! But YICK = NKOTB! Debbie Gibson and mah girl Tiffany all the WAY! "I think we're alone now, there doesn't seem to be anyone a-ro-und..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irish - does MA seem a little more magical now? 'Cuz I'm in it!

    Andrea - Welcome, BEDA buddy! Your husband would like puggle#2 (Bruschi). He's welcome to watch football at my houe anytime. St.Matt does not get a choice - there's a lot of YA circling him at all time :-) (I also listened to Debbie!)

    Emily - You, Me, Crackboopie, Petunia, the laptoppers & P.E.I. Let's do it! I'll teach you all the words to the Anne of Green Gables musical :-) And, of course you liked Tiffany - who didn't. (I'll also teach you my interpretive dance to "I think we're alone now")

    ReplyDelete

Comments? I LOVE these!

Note: you may have to press 'Post Comment' twice, I'm not sure why... anyone know?